Child care articles safety testing
Childcare standards apply to items intended for children under 3 years of age.
The key requirements of the childcare standards, as applicable and where specified, are:
- Mechanical properties — to ensure there are no small parts, sharp points or sharp edges
- Strict labelling and markings
- Performance properties — such as thermal shock and accuracy
- Toxicity properties — including migration of heavy metals, nickel release, banned phthalates, nitrosamines, volatile organic materials and AZO dyes
- Food-safe properties — for plastic materials and articles in contact with food
- Textile properties — for safety and compliance
We will be happy to advise you on the tests your product will require.
The following specific standards also apply:
Parts 1 and 2
|EU Standards for drinking equipment for children under 36 months|
Parts 1 and 2
|EU Standards for cutlery and feeding utensils for children under 36 months|
|BSEN12586||EU Standards for all products connected to babies’ dummies and dummy chains for children under 36 months|
Get your childcare products tested with confidence
The Northern Testhouse is UKAS accredited for the migration of heavy metals testing.
We conduct tests for additional elements, as specified in EN71 Part3:2013.
This standard defines the current limits for Lead, Cadmium, Chromium, Barium, Mercury, Antimony, Arsenic and Selenium.
With our expertise, experience and EN71 Part1 UKAS accreditation, we are also able to conduct the testing for sharp points, sharp edges and small parts.